A seasoned journalist with an entrepreneurial spirit, Kate has launched several editorial and custom publishing products in Hong Kong.
She co-founded one of Hong Kong’s leading lifestyle websites and also contributes to several major US publications, both in print and online.
Kate is equipped with strong writing, editing and digital publishing experience, as well as extensive knowledge about Asian cultures, lifestyle trends, heritage, urban innovations, and environmental issues.
Freelance Writer & Editor
– CNN Features Producer: Works part-time on the CNN Travel and CNN digital features desks in Hong Kong. Contributes stories on various topics, from urban innovations to architecture, scientific inventions, travel, and more. Copy-edits freelance contributors, produces multimedia elements, and manages new series launches.
– Forbes Travel Guide Correspondent: Contributes monthly articles about Hong Kong and the surrounding region; updates property overviews as needed.
– Fodor’s Travel Guide Correspondent: Updates biennial Hong Kong, Macau and China print and web guides. Also contributes regularly to Fodor’s travel blog
– My Hong Kong Wedding: Planned and executed inaugural My Hong Kong Wedding magazine for Liv Media as launch editor. Editor of subsequent quarterly wedding guides.
– Superfuture Correspondent: Updates quarterly Hong Kong guides and maps. Also helped to launch the debut Kapok x Superfuture printed guide, now sold in select stores
– Expat Dining Guide: Planned and executed inaugural Expat Dining Guide for Fast Media as consulting editor. Has edited all subsequent twice-annual dining guides
– Contributor: CNN, BBC Travel, Munchies, Travel & Leisure, Sotheby’s, Tatler, Home Journal, Go Places, Liv Magazine, Time Out, Revolution Magazine, Expat Parent Magazine, Horizon Magazine, Where, The List, Post Magazine, and more.
– Copywriting and Editing Projects: Apple, Hong Kong Tourism Board, Computime tech and manufacturing, HK Express, District 15, Nude Beautique, Avec Amour, HarmonyHR, Inkviva, and more.
Man Mo Media Ltd, The Loop
July 2015-July 2016
– Co-founded Hong Kong’s only mobile-first lifestyle website, covering dining news, regional travel, and in-depth interviews
– Worked on branding, design, web dev, marketing, operations and business strategy
– Worked with programmer on new features, testing and usability
– Managed editorial calendar, day-to-day operations
– Managed stable of 15 freelancers, assignments, invoices, budget
– Tracked analytics and adjusted content plan accordingly
– Managed social media, marketing outreach and events
– Presented Media 101 workshops for startups/SMEs on behalf of Man Mo Media Ltd
HK Magazine, owned by SCMP
– Managed team of eight full-time writers to produce weekly Hong Kong-based lifestyle magazine, website and iPad app
– Managed feature story assignments, covering culture, travel, politics and dining
– Edited features, lifestyle and news sections, online articles
– Wrote covers stories, dining features, weekly “Escape Routes” travel column, and travel features
– Managed freelance writers and photographers
– Worked with art department on layouts and covers
The List Magazine, owned by SCMP
April 2013-March 2014
– Managed twice-monthly print lifestyle magazine, social media and weekly Listed! newsletter
– Assigned stories and listings to team of four staff writers and three interns
– Edited feature stories, listings and proofread content
– Wrote feature stories, health and beauty column
Smart Travel Asia
Hong Kong. July 2012 – March 2013
– Reported and wrote feature stories with original multimedia for Hong Kong-based monthly travel magazine
– Edited, fact-checked and proofread freelancer submissions
– Wrote monthly “Check Out” travel column, focusing on deals, tips and news
– Wrote blog posts on emerging regional issues for sister site, Asian Conversations
Editorial and Web Production Intern
Hong Kong. January 2012 – June 2012
– Wrote daily NewsFeed articles and reported feature stories for Science, World and Travel blogs
– Managed breaking news, coordinated with New York and London producers
Medill Magazine Innovation Project
Peer-elected Student Publisher
Northwestern University. September – December 2011
– Led team of 14 master’s candidates to develop iPad prototype of tablet-native magazine for Bonnier Corp.
– Produced multimedia stories and co-authored comprehensive business prospectus
– Project awarded AEJMC award for best start-up magazine
WBEZ Chicago Public Radio
Business Reporting Intern, Freelancer
Chicago. April – September 2011
– Pitched and reported business stories for “Venture,” a Morning Edition segment
– Produced feature-length and spot stories; mixed audio, researched and fact-checked
– Following internship, continued to produce stories for Morning Edition on freelance basis
HUG (Help, Understand, Give) Project Adviser Abroad
Antigua, Guatemala. December 2009 – May 2010
– Coordinated and led volunteer groups, blogged with multimedia, maintained social media accounts
– Co-developed sponsorship program for orphaned and neglected Guatemalan children
Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
Master of Science in Journalism, Magazine Publishing and Interactive Producing
March 2012, GPA: 3.9
The Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pa.
Bachelor of Arts, graduated cum laude in English and International Politics
May 2009, GPA: 3.8
Web Development: HTML5, CSS3, WordPress, Web Design, Google Analytics, Social Media Strategy
Audio/Video: Premiere Pro, Audacity
Other: Usability testing, copy-editing, AP Style, DSLR photography
Language: Proficient Spanish, basic French